Friday, September 2, 2016

Selling Tickets a new primer

The process of selling tickets for a handful of NBA teams has changed. A new website software called FlashSeats ( company owned by Dan Gilbert of Quicken Loans & Cleveland Cavaliers) has set up a model where tickets have a price floor and are only deliverable electronically. This has cut out the many scalpers and 3rd party sellers who were taking a cut of the proceeds. The floor for the Timberwolves has been set at 75% of face value. This level angered many season ticket holders last season and perhaps prompted many on the fence to not renew tickets. I myself think my seats are therefore a handful of rows closer in their price range then otherwise would have been possible for an up and coming team.

I had previously sold my tickets in seasons past at Stubhub, but this year have listed a handful and sold 3 games already. I may be hasty in listing, and demand may be higher when the season begins, but I feel the hype is pretty good right now before people get too distracted by the NFL machine. I was able to sell over face value for all of the games so far. I sold the Los Angeles Clippers 1st visit at home for $180 (it is a top tiered Saturday night game), The home opener I messed up and only sold for $120 and the 1st Lakers visit I sold for $150. So that brings the remaining games average down to $56 a ticket/$112 a game.

This does not factor in any preseason sales, which includes two games. But I feel pretty good about getting money starting to roll in right away with smaller returns then might be possible during the season. This way I avoid any risk of a major player injury driving down demand, it's a safe play I feel and the real payoff will come with the Golden State Warriors two visits. The real challenge will come when the early week games against bottom of the league teams fail to drive demand, and some tickets have to be eaten ( I may attend a good half dozen throughout the season). But hopefully the Timberwolves themselves will be the factor of desire for many fans. But I am hoping my advantageous  ticket placement in the target center seating/pricing scheme will help out.

No comments:

Post a Comment